Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain of command

Go down

Chain of command Empty Chain of command

Post  AndyT Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:39 pm

Scripture:
16 But when he became strong, his heart was so proud that he acted corruptly, and he was unfaithful to the LORD his God, for he entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.
17 Then Azariah the priest entered after him and with him eighty priests of the LORD, valiant men.
18 They opposed Uzziah the king and said to him, "It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the LORD, but for the priests, the sons of Aaron who are consecrated to burn incense. Get out of the sanctuary, for you have been unfaithful and will have no honor from the LORD God."
19 But Uzziah, with a censer in his hand for burning incense, was enraged; and while he was enraged with the priests, the leprosy broke out on his forehead before the priests in the house of the LORD, beside the altar of incense.
20 Azariah the chief priest and all the priests looked at him, and behold, he was leprous on his forehead; and they hurried him out of there, and he himself also hastened to get out because the LORD had smitten him. (2 Chron 26:16-20 NASB)

Observation:
On first reading this it looks like Uzziah just wanted to give God credit for all the good things in his life. He went to the temple to burn some incense and do some worship, but all the priests freaked out on him and told him to get out. Even God reached down and gave him a skin disease! Just because he wanted to worship God!?

Then we look deeper into this and we find that Uzziah did the wrong thing.
As King, he knew that there are certain ways things are done. A chain of command. If someone came to him stepping outside of the chain of command, he would not be happy about it. He would be dishing out some sort of punishment to someone for it. When he went into the temple to give God worship, he broke the highest chain of command. Uzziah thought that since he was King that he could do whatever, but God reminded him that even Kings have to follow Gods law. Not one person is above it.

Application:
Submit therefore to God. (James 4:7) Yes, we all need to learn how to submit to God. Not following His instructions is what gets us into so much trouble in the first place. Accept the authority He has placed over you no matter if you are a poor dirt farmer or even a King. We all need to accept and follow God's chain of command.

Prayer:
Lord, you have laid out the chain of command for me. You have written it all down and presented it to me. Now Father, I ask you to help me abide by it and follow your rules so that I might live in the bounty of your grace! Praise You Father in Jesus mighty name, AMEN!
AndyT
AndyT
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-12-04

https://jwjesus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum